ICA COVID-19 PLAN: 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
Immanuel Christian Academy’s highest priority and commitment is to the spiritual and physical well-being of our students. It is only after these needs have been addressed that a rigorous academic curriculum can be implemented. Therefore, we are committed to ensuring that our students and staff are provided with the safest and healthiest environment we can possibly provide. This commitment has led us to develop steps that will hopefully keep our students and staff safe and healthy.
ICA students will report on August 19th for the first day of the 2020-2021 school year. While much of our school life will return to normal, it will not be business as usual. Some changes will be temporary as we deal with the reality of Covid-19, but others may have long-lasting effects. Flexibility in procedures and guidelines will obviously be a necessity. With these things in mind, ICA has developed and will continue to develop general and specific guidelines that will hopefully allow our students and staff to be healthy at school.
● Physical distancing within classrooms will be instituted where possible. All classes will be capped at a maximum of 12 students. This will allow more space per student in the classroom and make proper social distancing more feasible.
● Any student or staff with a temperature greater than 100.4 will be sent home.
● Parents should complete a quick health assessment, including temperature check, before sending their child to school. Any child with symptoms of Covid-19 should stay home. Signs and symptoms of Covid-19 include: temperature of 100.4 or greater, dry cough, shortness of breath, loss/change in sense of smell or taste, unexplained muscle aches or pains, sore throat, unexplained rash, diarrhea, fatigue, nausea or vomiting, abdominal pain, headache (mild to severe).
● All staff and students (grades 1-9) will be required to wear a mask whenever a social distance of 6 feet cannot be maintained. Students and staff should wear a mask anytime they are on their feet, moving around the classroom or the building.
● K-3, K-4, and K-5 students will not be required to wear a mask. This decision will be left to the discretion of the parents/guardians of each student. All teachers and staff will be required to wear masks. ICA encourages all students to wear a mask when adequate social distancing cannot be maintained.
● Masks can be lowered during classroom time if all students and staff are seated 6 feet apart and no persons are walking around in the classroom.
● Masks should fit snugly against the side of the face, be secured with ties or ear loops, include multiple layers of fabric, allow for breathing without restriction, and cover both the nose and mouth.
● Water fountains will not in service. Students should plan to bring a personal refillable water bottle to use at school. Students will have the opportunity during the day to refill their water bottles as needed. These will need to be taken home daily by the student for cleaning and disinfecting.
● Hallways will be marked to reflect an appropriate social distance of 6 feet.
● Increased hygiene and health precautions will be instituted with numerous hand sanitizing stations, additional cleaning throughout the day, and health and hygiene training for all students and staff.
● Large-group gatherings will be reorganized to allow for appropriate social distancing. This includes activities such as lunch, recess, chapel, art, music, etc.
● Athletics and other extracurricular activities will only occur if practical and feasible.
● In the event that a student or staff member tests positive for Covid-19, ICA will follow the contact tracing recommendations of the Health Department and health officials.
● Doors will open for student drop-off at 7:25 a.m. each morning.
● Temperature checks will be conducted at each entrance for anyone wishing to enter the building. Students who have temperatures greater than 100.4 degrees upon arrival will be sent home.
● In order to better adhere to social distancing guidelines, students will immediately report to their respective classrooms. Masks should be used whenever a 6-foot social distance cannot be maintained.
● K-3, K-4, and K-5 will assemble in designated locations in the gymnasium for parent pick-up at 3:00 p.m.
● Grades 1-9 will assemble in designated locations in the gymnasium for parent pick-up at 3:15 p.m. This will reduce large congregations of students and allow for appropriate social distancing.